The name ‘Elmsall’ is derived from the Old-English ‘elm’, literally meaning an elm tree, and the Anglian ‘halh’, meaning a nook of land or a small valley.
The oldest landmark in North Elmsall is St Margaret’s Church, on Hall Lane, which was built in 1896 and is still in use. However, an earlier acknowledgement of a settlement in this area can be found in the Domesday Book. The book lists Elmsall in the Osgodcross Hundred, with 1 villager and 5 smallholders. The total tax assessed was 8 geld units, which was very large in comparison to other Domesday settlements. Other evidence has also been found in the area of settlements dating back to the 13th or 14th century, as a medieval brooch was found in a field.
St Margaret’s Church has been a Grade II listed building since 2001, giving the building a protected status by English Heritage. The church is just one of eight Grade II listed buildings in the parish, many of which date back to the 18th century. The church was designed by A H Hoole of London, and paid for by Mrs Georgina Longueville-Jones, of whom there is a marble bust in the vestry. St Margaret’s also contains a memorial for those from the parish who died fighting for their country in the First World War
Other listed buildings in North Elmsall include The Old Hall, thought to be built in around the 17th century or earlier and Lodge Farmhouse, built around 1800, and its nearby coach house and barn.